William Shaw George was born near East Liverpool, Ohio on March 21, 1865, the son of William S. and Mary Cavett George. The youngest of six children, he began working in the pottery industry at the age of 16. He moved to East Palestine in the 1890's and became the manager of the East Palestine Pottery Company, then owned by the Sebring Brothers. By 1904, he had purchased the controlling interest in the pottery, and it was renamed the W. S. George Pottery Company.
W. S. George was married to Anna Campbell, who was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They had nine children: William Campbell, Marguerite (Mrs. J. L. Adams), John S., Frank C., Dorothy (Woodard), Lois, Robert B., Janet, & William Shaw Jr.
He was a member of the East Palestine United Presbyterian
Church, the Kiawanis Club, and the United Potters Association, for
which he served as president in 1915.
W. S. George died April 12, 1925 at the age of 60.
According to an obituary published in the East Liverpool Review,
he became ill in New York City after returning from a trip to Central
America with his daughter, Lois. Funeral services were conducted
at the First United Presbyterian Church in East Palestine, and he was
buried in Riverview Cemetery.